Saturday, November 19, 2011

Wildflowers in Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill

A couple weeks ago, I highlighted the wildflowers mentioned in Betsy-Tacy and Tib. Today I'm going to feature the ones from Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill. Like last time, I omitted the common flowers, like daisies and violets. (Click image for source.)
They walked back slowly, picking flowers as they went. They didn't find many violets, but they found bloodroots, and Dutchman's breeches, and hepaticas, rising from the damp brown mat which carpeted the ground. (288)
Bloodroots


Columbine
Dutchman's breeches
Indian paintbrush
They scattered the flowers picked that morning on the hill, columbines and daisies and the scarlet Indian paintbrush. (442)

Hepaticas
Jack-in-the-pulpit

The went down the hill, running sometimes and walking sometimes, picking columbines and yellow bells and Jacks-in-the-pulpit and daisies to make a bouquet for the princess. (427)
Yellow bells

Some of these, like the Indian paintbrush and yellow bells, had different pictures come up for them. Hopefully I got the variety that would be indigenous to Minnesota. If any of you are gardeners, botanists, or flower experts, feel free to correct me!

1 comment:

  1. The columbine is one of my favorite flowers, but I had forgotten it was mentioned in B-T - now I like it even more!

    ReplyDelete